9.23.2014

whirlwind tour of Austin, Texas


when Husband and I visited Texas this summer, our main purpose was to spend time with his sister, her husband, and our new nephew. along with our visit to inner space cavern and several trips to in-n-out burger... we did manage to squeeze in an afternoon in downtown Austin. I've heard such great things about this city. we were barely able to brush the surface of what Austin has to offer - but I wanted to share what we did.

we spent most of our time walking, though if we had known that Austin offers a bike program we probably could have saved some time. the first place we wanted to stop was a store called Toy Joy which specializes in weird and wacky collectibles. by the time we finished perusing, I was starving. we stumbled into a BBQ joint next door [Lamberts] and it turned out to be fantastic. you really can't go wrong with brisket in Texas.


our next stop was the state capital. I had seen it peeking down a street and wanted to at least get close enough to take a picture. by the time we made it all the way there, we decided to go in for a break in the a/c. politics aside, it really is a beautiful building. we opted not to take the official tour, but just wandered a bit on our own. I had fun finding all the stars throughout the building and grounds.

did I mention I'm actually a Texan? I was born in San Antonio and hadn't been to Austin since I was an infant, but I still have a lot of love for the Lone Star State. and being that my family is [very distantly] related to Stephen Austin for whom this city was named, it only seemed right that I at least stop in to see the capitol.


we drove back out to Round Rock, and ended up back at the highway to watch the bats fly out from the overpass at dusk. Austin is apparently known for its bats, and there is a boat tour you can take downtown to watch them fly out for the night. this was a little less intense, but still neat to see.

after our bat excursion, we headed to Torchy's Tacos for dinner. I think we had Torchy's 3 times while in Austin... when they say "damn good tacos" they mean it.

ok, now what do I have to be sure to do the next time I'm in Austin?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...