9.09.2013

a thirst for adventure is close to your heart


have you ever heard of the Jung Typology Test? it's a test that reads different tendencies in your personality and rates your preferences for extraverted vs introverted behavior, or whether your actions are based more on thinking vs feeling. at the end of the test they give you your 4-letter type, along with percentages to tell you how strongly you exhibit each characteristic.

some people take this test in college to see what majors they should apply for, or which jobs they would be best suited to. other times, workplaces use this test to help gauge how everyone will work together. OR you could [like me today] be taking this test as a part of the blogtember challenge.

how you take the test is simple: read through a list of statements and click "yes" or "no" based on if they are true for you or not. towards the end of the test, I came across the phrase "a thirst for adventure is close to your heart." and I fell in love with it. I'm not sure I can describe how happy it made me to click on the "yes" and whole-heartedly feel it was the true and right answer. adventure is not just close to my heart, adventure is my heart.

I kindof want to just leave this post at that...but you probably also want to know what my type is, right?

Introverted 56%
iNtuitive 62%
Thinking 1%
Judging 33%

I've taken this test a few times in the past decade. usually I fall into the INFJ category [but I've come up with ENFJ before] and my Thinking/Feeling scores are always almost too close to call. this time was no different - with only a 1% difference pushing me into the "T" category - so I've pulled lines below from both the INTJ and INFJ types that I feel really describe me:


When it comes to their own areas of expertise -- and INTJs can have several -- they will be able to tell you almost immediately whether or not they can help you, and if so, how. INTJs know what they know, and perhaps still more importantly, they know what they don't know.

INTJs are perfectionists, with a seemingly endless capacity for improving upon anything that takes their interest. What prevents them from becoming chronically bogged down in this pursuit of perfection is the pragmatism so characteristic of the type: INTJs apply (often ruthlessly) the criterion "Does it work?" to everything from their own research efforts to the prevailing social norms.

...they possess the unusual trait combination of imagination and reliability.

Personal relationships, particularly romantic ones, can be the INTJ's Achilles heel. While they are capable of caring deeply for others (usually a select few), and are willing to spend a great deal of time and effort on a relationship, the knowledge and self-confidence that make them so successful in other areas can suddenly abandon or mislead them in interpersonal situations. 
>>> me trying to date? hello, awkwardness.

Perhaps the most fundamental problem, however, is that INTJs really want people to make sense.

INTJs are idea people. Anything is possible; everything is negotiable. Others may see what is and wonder why; INTJs see what might be and say "Why not?!"

INTJs sweat the details or, at times, omit them. "I've made up my mind, don't confuse me with the facts" could well have been said by an INTJ on a mission.

INFJs, like many other FJ types, find themselves caught between the desire to express their wealth of feelings and moral conclusions about the actions and attitudes of others, and the awareness of the consequences of unbridled candor. 
>>> why I blog, but I don't blog everything.

INFJs are distinguished by both their complexity of character and the unusual range and depth of their talents. Strongly humanitarian in outlook, INFJs tend to be idealists, and because of their J preference for closure and completion, they are generally "doers" as well as dreamers. This rare combination of vision and practicality often results in INFJs taking a disproportionate amount of responsibility in the various causes to which so many of them seem to be drawn.


INFJs are deeply concerned about their relations with individuals as well as the state of humanity at large. They are, in fact, sometimes mistaken for extroverts because they appear so outgoing and are so genuinely interested in people -- a product of the Feeling function they most readily show to the world. On the contrary, INFJs are true introverts, who can only be emotionally intimate and fulfilled with a chosen few from among their long-term friends, family, or obvious "soul mates." 
>>> I never thought to call them "soul mates", but I do have a few people in my life who would qualify based on our instant connection and how we just GET each other. [in fact, now I'm going to start calling them my soul mates...]

While instinctively courting the personal and organizational demands continually made upon them by others, at intervals INFJs will suddenly withdraw into themselves, sometimes shutting out even their intimates. This apparent paradox is a necessary escape valve for them, providing both time to rebuild their depleted resources and a filter to prevent the emotional overload to which they are so susceptible as inherent "givers." As a pattern of behavior, it is perhaps the most confusing aspect of the enigmatic INFJ character to outsiders, and hence the most often misunderstood -- particularly by those who have little experience with this rare type. 
>>> quiet, alone time is SO necessary for me!

...there can sometimes be a "tug-of-war" between NF vision and idealism and the J practicality that urges compromise for the sake of achieving the highest priority goals. And the I and J combination, while perhaps enhancing self-awareness, may make it difficult for INFJs to articulate their deepest and most convoluted feelings.

Usually self-expression comes more easily to INFJs on paper, as they tend to have strong writing skills. 
>>> translation: I can write a kick-ass email, but the voicemails I leave are epically terrible.

I think the results are pretty accurate. and while the INFJ in me isn't sure I want to share all my deep dark secrets, the INTJ really enjoyed this little bit of self-introspection. but now I'm curious about you... what's your type?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...